Me before my journey began.

Me before my journey began.
And I thought I looked ok!!!

June 2004

June 2004
I just found this photo. Its hard to look at now!!!

Thursday 7 June 2007

Christchurch Marathon - 10km


I have been to New Zealand and joined in the Christchurch Marathon. I was entered into the 10km walk but I was keen to do some jogging also. I have been trying to increase my jogging within walks and hoped to improve my time for a 10km walk / jog.

I didn't manage to jog as much as I would have liked due to feeling a bit self conscious and having the marathon runners overtaking us walkers almost the whole time, so my confidence to jog was hindered .

But I was still so pleased with my time of 1 hour 28 minutes. I would have only jogged a few minutes overall, so I thought I would have been lucking to do the 10km in 1 hour 40 minutes. It was such a great feeling to go over the finish line, have a medal put over my head and then later read my official time of 1 hour 28 minutes.

This was my 5th official event I had entered, but the first event at 10km. The Melbourne Marathon walk was only 7.6km. I completed the Arthur's Seat Challenge which was 6.7km and lots of big hills. I have also done an 8km and 8.6km fun run/walk. So I feel my next challenge may be to build up my jogging to be able to do the 5km run in this years Melbourne Marathon. A big goal, so I am still contemplating it! But to run around the G at the end would be great! At the moment I can only jog for about 2km before needing to stop. I try to do a 10km walk / jog every weekend. I hope the aerobics I do during the week is also making me stronger and increasing my endurance.

I had such a great time in New Zealand and caught up with a couple of people who hadn't seen me for 12 months. The shock on their face and their lovely encouragement was a real boost. One person didn't recognise me at first and was so astounded by my changes. I am getting more used to these compliments and comments. I don't know why I get so embarrassed by the comments???

2 comments:

Lyn (Aka Skyryder) said...

Good on you Liz, awesome work on your 10K walk. By the way you are looking great!!
Keep up the good work you are doing on your fitness and weight you are an inspiration. Dont you just love the feeling you get when you have done a marathon or in my case I do cycle challenges and that feeling stays awhile. Way cool you rock.

Take care
Cheers Lyn xx :-)

P.S. Dont worry about what other people think you are doing this for you! You go girl!

KT said...

Hi Liz,
Just dropping in from the WW boards.
I hate the photos where you think you look good, and then you see a photo, and think to yourself... ugh... what was I thinking... I have WAY to many of those!!
: )
Anyway, you look great now, you have obviously been working really hard!!
Running a marathon is UNBELIEVABLE!!! You are an inspiration... I am so scared of running, and the more people I see doing it, the more inspired I get to give it a go!!
Thanks for the inspiration...
See you around the WW boards
Kell

December 2004

December 2004
Here is another photo I found of myself before I made the changes in my life. I think I still have that blue shirt, so I should hunt it out for a photo now!!

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"
Quite a difference hey!!

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk
Not the most attractive photo, but I had worked hard!!