Me before my journey began.

Me before my journey began.
And I thought I looked ok!!!

June 2004

June 2004
I just found this photo. Its hard to look at now!!!

Tuesday 3 June 2008

Progressing well


I am approaching the three month mark since surgery and I finally feel I can see an end to the "recovery process".

I have much greater movement in my legs and can kneel now for a short time. My legs don't have as much pain, and usually only when I have had a big day. The right leg is worse than the left, and some days the left leg doesn't give me any trouble.

The swelling is the hardest thing to cope with still. My legs are still quite swollen. Some days I think I notice a big change, but then the next I get discouraged again. But they are definitely getting smaller! - slowly!!! I still have some swelling around my middle. That swelling goes up and down depending on the time of day and what sort of activity I have done during the day.

I am able to exercise daily, but to no where near the intensity that I am used to. But any exercise is better than none and while my heart doesn't get to pump as fast as it can, my legs are managing to tone up under all the swelling.

My arms are usually ok, I get some sore spots, but I can reach up without as much pain. I get a funny sensation around my elbows which is possibly the nerves repairing themselves.

I am often asked am I glad I had the surgery. I can now say, I am glad, but I wish I had a better idea of the recovery process. I suppose the surgeon and the nurses can only go by a general level of information as everyone is different. But I feel I wasn't warned enough about the length of time for recovery. (Or maybe I chose not to retain that part of the information given!!!)

I certainly love the range of clothes I can now wear, and shopping is so much more fun and less embarrassing. I like feeling like I am in the "normal" size range and if anyone looks twice at me on the street, I know it is not to get a second look at the really big woman!!

Andrew and I had the most fantastic weekend staying at The Windsor. We really treated ourselves and enjoyed every minute of our time. And it was so exciting to fit into the bath robe supplied!!!!

No comments:

December 2004

December 2004
Here is another photo I found of myself before I made the changes in my life. I think I still have that blue shirt, so I should hunt it out for a photo now!!

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"
Quite a difference hey!!

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk
Not the most attractive photo, but I had worked hard!!