Me before my journey began.

Me before my journey began.
And I thought I looked ok!!!

June 2004

June 2004
I just found this photo. Its hard to look at now!!!

Wednesday 22 August 2007

Appointment with the Dietitian.

I have been considering seeing a dietitian for some time now. I wanted to make sure I was eating correcting in regards to the exercise I was doing. Plus I thought it would be good to get an idea of an eating plan specifically for me.

The dietitian took time to hear what I currently eat and what exercise I do. I do an hour of exercise as soon as I get up during the week and 1 1/2 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Of course I told her of the weight I had lost over the past 2 1/2 years and my surgery in October.

The main changes the dietitian suggested for me was to eat more at breakfast. I needed to eat more cereal fibre and have more of my carbohydrates and proteins in the morning and for lunch. So, instead of the 2 weetbix and pears I was having, she suggested I have 3 weetbix, pears and a tablespoon of oat bran. One of my other breakfast choices is stewed apple and yoghurt. I was advised that this wasn't enough, and to add some natural muesli. I don't usually eat muesli, but I had put it on yoghurt in the past to get a bit of a crunch! Another breakfast I have is 1 egg scrambled on 1 piece of toast. Well this was increased to 1 egg and 1 egg white and have 2 pieces of toast.

Regarding lunch, I was to eat more proteins, and again a bigger serve of lunch, so that I would have a smaller tea. Lunches for me are usually home made soup or tuna and tomatoes or a salad sandwich. The dietitian encouraged me to have 2 pieces of bread at lunch if I haven't had the 2 pieces for toast in the morning.

For snacks, I could stick to the fruit I usually have. Other suggestions were a glass of no fat milk, nuts, dried fruit or if I have been baking low fat muffins. With the muffins, I was to add some oat bran also.

Regarding exercise, the dietitian threw me for a six when she said to add a 20 minute walk at the end of the day!! I have had people tell me to rest up a bit with my exercise, and she was the first to say "do more"!! I was taken a back and wondered if I really would do that.

Another suggestion was to have a mintie when I sit down at the end of the day to watch TV as we all know, when we have a mint taste in our mouth, we often don't feel like eating anything else. I sometimes cleaned my teeth for this effect.

The dietitian also asked if I would keep a Food and Exercise Diary.

Well, for the rest of the day after seeing the dietitian I pondered on if I would follow her recommendations or not. I decided I had paid my money to see her, so I might as well give it a go! I set out to be really disciplined for one week and then reassess it. I wanted to give it a decent go.

I started my new "regime" last Saturday. I have been having more for breakfast and lunch and a much smaller tea. I have replaced dessert with 20 minutes of exercise and I have kept the diary. I have followed it very tightly to her suggestions for the past 5 days. I retrieved the scales from the shed to see if I had any change on them. Well, I weighed myself on Sunday morning, and I weighed myself this morning. I have lost 2kg!!!! I couldn't believe it. I was feeling better and thought I noticed another change around my waist, but 2kg!!! The scales haven't been moving much at all lately, so this is a real bonus!

Throughout the last 2 1/2 years I have often experienced a big loss when I have changed my routine around. But I don't think I have had such a huge result since I first started my weight loss.

So, the dietitian did know what she was talking about after all!!! The hard work and discipline of the past 5 days have really paid off. I'm so pleased. I want to lose another 3 kg before surgery, so I am right on track for that.

So, now, of course I recommend a visit to a dietitian for anyone wanting a personalised plan or a challenge to their current routines!!!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hi Liz,
I love coming to your blog, your smiling face inspires me even more than your weightloss - you look so fresh and sweet! I've reached a plateau at the moment, partly I think because of my bad eating habits - not overeating, just the wrong things. So you've inspired me to go see a nutritionist! Good luck with your surgeries too!

:) Kathleen (I'm from the WW boards)

Mel said...

Hey Liz - lovely to hear of your visit with the dietician. After losing 30kg myself I feel in need of a new 'way' too - just to boost me. Wow- 2 kg -that's so good.

You are looking fantastic and what an inspiration - thank you

(Mel - Tuataragirl from the WW boards)

December 2004

December 2004
Here is another photo I found of myself before I made the changes in my life. I think I still have that blue shirt, so I should hunt it out for a photo now!!

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"

Me at Noosa - April 2007 - Always pretending to be "Australia's Next Top Model!!!"
Quite a difference hey!!

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk

Finishing the Christchurch Marathon - 10km walk
Not the most attractive photo, but I had worked hard!!